One of the biggest challenges of running a bleeding edge OS is the inevitability of running into software incompatibility issues. One such issue is running Forefront Client Security on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. As of this posting you cannot run the Forefront Management Server yet, but you can run the client with a little bit of command line action.
- Insert or mount the Forefront disc.
- Open a CMD or Powershell prompt as admin.
- Go to the following directory on the disc: \client\x64
- Enter the following command: .\clientsetup.exe /nomom
- Once it is finished, Forefront will report that there may be an issue or additional updates for the client DO NOT click on the link that will take you to a download page. The downloads it will give you will not successfully install.
- Go to Windows Update to get all updates. It will download the latest service packs, hotfixes, and definitions for Forefront.